Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Shooting sync sound in S8

  1. #1
    Inactive Member oldasdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2003
    Posts
    362
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    who here shoots sync sound?What do you use?DAT?Disc?How do you sync it?Anyone still use mag fullcoat?

  2. #2
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    First choice will always be a video camera that either records HI-FI, BetaCam SP, or a digital signal, whichever I use, I try to make sure my audio input will be of the XLR type.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member oldasdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2003
    Posts
    362
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    How do you sync the vidcam and the film?What speed do you shoot at and is your camera crystal?How do you blimp your camera?

  4. #4
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    As long as sound is played back at the identical speed to which it was recorded, then the only variable is the Super-8 film itself.

    If one is editing on video or NLE, then this to is a "resolveable" problem. For sync sound indoor dialogue situations I would pretty much only use a Nizo four digit camera model number.

    For outdoors you get a bit more flexibility in camera choices.

    The other audio acquisition method that has been mentioned is you do an audio take only in additon to the camera takes, probably the cleverest approach of all.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member oldasdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2003
    Posts
    362
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    So you're talking about recording the audio after filming?The way Rodriguez did El Mariachi initially?He used an unsynced Arri S and a Marantz cassette recorder.Recording the dialogue after the camera take.

  6. #6
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I would do everything I could to use the sound from the actual take, but I would also do an additional take without the camera as well.

    I think I would definitely only use those Nizo four digit model number cameras that are supposed to be the quietest Super-8 cameras ever made.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member dennis646's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 25th, 2005
    Posts
    16
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I just got a CANON 514 xl-s and it's suuuper quiet. I sould still use a blimp if I was recording sound but the motor is so quiet that when I first hit the release button I had to put my ear up to the film door to see if it was running!!!

    OK...I'm exagerating a tad but the camera is really quiet. It's got a bunch of cool features, too.

  8. #8
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Sounds cool!

    I think the 514 doesn't shoot at 24 Frames per second but that isn't so bad since you actually gain 40 seconds of film time per cartridge by shooting at 18 FPS.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member dennis646's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 25th, 2005
    Posts
    16
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The 514 does shoot at 24fps! If anyone has one without the manual you can view it here:

    http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/G...n_514xl-s.html

    It's a real high quality camera. It almost looks like a 16mm. It's super light, too which is odd for a camera built for sound.

  10. #10
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Arrow

    I've always been smitten by the designe of the 814XLS and the 1014XLS. [img]graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

    But the 514 seems to be an excellent option for shooting sound scenes, and it has 24FPS! [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •